Wednesday, March 5, 2008

"Wheel": A Most Positive 'Negative' Love Song



Today at JMMA we're starting something called our "Song of the Day." Each Wednesday we will choose one John Mayer song to talk about from whatever perspective we'd like: lyrically, musically, personally. The first song we've chosen is "Wheel."

Here are some of my thoughts on the song. I wrote this for the JMMA Yahoo Group back in March of 2005.

Wheel - A Most Positive 'Negative' Love Song
by Rob

"Wheel" is another example of why I love John's lyrics. It's like "Clarity" where he knows what he SHOULD be doing (enjoying moments as they happen instead of worry about the longevity of it all) but that doesn't mean it's easy to do.

To me, "Wheel" is the rationalization of why love goes away: IT'S SUPPOSED TO. Love is one of the few businesses that we can fail at 99% of the time and still be successful if the 1% is the right one.

People have the right to fly
And will when it gets compromised

I love this. He's talking about the "Fortress Around Your Heart" that Sting sings about... how we built walls to protect ourselves. For some of us, as soon as we feel things are getting too serious
(our "right to fly" getting compromised), our hearts say "move along" and our minds agree. Let's move it along." So we do, but someone is always left behind.

The next stanza is like something from a Paul Simon song where we've got the setting and the characters. A couple is saying goodbye at the airport. But it's more than this. Someone's LAST goodbye is blending in with someone's sigh. It's easy to know which is which. The one "going home" is saying goodbye, holding a single rose given to him/her by the other. The other is the one "sighing," the one whose heart is breaking. Because when you think about it,
an "amicable breakup" is an oxymoron. Anytime you hear that a breakup is amicable, someone is trying to save face. Someone is almost always crushed.

But that's the way it is, John tells us. That's the way the wheel spins. He's not going to be the last person to love her, and she wasn't the first to love him. It's all very impermanent. And
here's part of the problem:

You can't build a house of leaves
And live like it's an evergreen

Those are my favorite two lines from "Wheel." If someone asked me to summarize "Tracing" in two lines, I'd repeat those lines from "Wheel." "Tracing" is merely an expansion of this thought. How many times do we rush into a relationship because we want it to work SO BAD, but we haven't laid the right foundation first? We try to convince ourselves that because we both love Mocha Almond Fudge ice cream and "Joan of Arcadia," we're meant to be together forever. What we need to remember is "there is a reason strong moves slow." But again, we are just following the natural course of love:

It's just a season thing
It's just this thing the seasons do

The seasons change every year, and love changes too. We shouldn't be surprised by it.

You can find me
If you ever want again
I'll be around the bend
I'll be around the bend
I'll be around

It's appropriate that John is "around the bend" because the song takes a complete U-turn at this point. So far John's led us into a dark tunnel where love never lasts and love dying is as predictable as the seasons changing. Then he shows us the light (albeit a flickering one) at the end of the tunnel:

And if you never stop when you wave goodbye
You just might find if you give it time
You will wave hello again
You just might wave hello again

This is me reading into nothing, I suppose. But when a relationship ends and someone is hurt, there's that period where you just reflect on things. Everything slows down because it has to. And maybe if we learn to take the "slow and steady" mentality and apply it to love, it may grow back in the same place where it was uprooted before. Maybe. John DOES say "might" twice in that stanza, hence the "flickering light" at the tunnel's end.

You can't love too much one part of it

The thing to do is not get too caught up in any one cycle of the wheel because it's GOING to run its course... many times. We're going to love and lose, then someone else is going to love us more, but we may have to let them go. It's as simple as directions on a shampoo bottle:

Love. Lose. Repeat.

And then comes the most positive message of the song:

I believe that my life's gonna see
The love I give returned to me

This is the last cycle of the "Wheel." This is where the fortunate deboard the circle and hope never to ride it again.

29 comments:

cheriswa said...

'our hearts say "move along" and our minds agree. Let's move it along." So we do, but someone is always left behind.'
This is the one part of your blog AND John's lyric's that don't completely ring true to me. The heart mind thing doesn't always work in that order, in fact it probably happens most often in reverse, at least for me. The MIND tells me it's time to move on, even when it breaks my own heart to let it go. After John's latest "love" blog, I suspect he has discovered this conflict between heart and mind.

cheriswa said...

"You can't love too much, one part of it "

Or maybe he means you can't just love the easy parts of being in love, you have to love the hard parts, too. Being there when times get tough. Loving him when he's "Not Myself". Loving her when she doesn't fit into that wedding dress anymore. In other words, you have to roll with the punches, ride the waves, the good, the bad and the ugly. I don't think John has been in a relationship long enough to get past the honeymoon phase, and I'm sure he's smart enough to know it. In fact, I think he's been sweatin' it for a while, as these lyrics from "Home Life" can attest to-

"I can tell you this much
I will marry just once
And if it doesn't work out
Give her half of my stuff
It's fine with me
We said eternity"

Oh right, we were talking about "Wheel". Funny how it all comes together this way ;)

JMMA (Rob) said...

Cheriswa, you're so right about the heart/mind order being wrong! In most cases, it IS the mind that tells you to move on first, while the heart is still holding on to the loved one with it's teeth.

Salient point.

mayerlover11 said...

i love this song. most powerful song on Heavier Things. It's great.
peace,
shayna...

Sy said...

hey it's sy! just wanted to say on the song itself that it has certainly helped to get over the mountain of burden that love pops in your way. it's just the way the wheel turns. you crawl, walk, run, fall, get up and do it all over again!

jenfo1110 said...

This was a great way to read into the song!

I love how JM's music contains so many different depths. When you first hear the words, you understand exactly what he means....it is so easy to relate to the "wheel" of life. But the more you listen, the better it gets! You see that there is so much meaning hiding between the lines.

My favorite line is "You can't love too much one part of it." It reminds me to look at things from different angles, and sometimes I find that I like what I see!

paige said...

Wheel is one of those songs that both shows us the things we do wrong in a love relationship and gives us hope to keep on loving. It would be nice if we could speed up the wheel sometimes but unfortunately we can't. Well, maybe that's a good thing. But the song does inspire hope to keep on loving because "you can never love too much".

KELLY said...

Rushing into something because we WANT it to work so badly is NEVER a good idea! A solid foundation must be made or, it is never going to work out!
So many people have said to me " This is one of John Mayer's saddest songs", but if you stick it out to the end you hear these words "I believe my life's gonna see
The love I give returned to me"...
and THAT is what I actually take away with me! :)

tinks271 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
tinks271 said...

Ever hear the saying "What comes around goes around" never expect things to completely go away for there is always a chance (good or bad)it'll pop up again. I believe John's statements in Wheel...

"And if you never stop when you wave goodbye
You just might find if you give it time
You will wave hello again
You just might wave hello again"

means exactly that. Never think the end always think about the new beginnings.

Sounds a little dorky but just the way I see it.

ExoticMoonflower said...

Hello! This ExoticMoonflower I really never got to deep or read into the song "Wheel" to much. but when I saw him play it live on the Mayercraft it was unbelieveable ...WOW! Im so with Cheriswa she hit the nail on the head!

ExoticMoonflower said...

John lyrics to "Clarity" are perfectly written in my eyes in how you feel when you worry about things. I dont think I could word it as beautifully as he did. But I learned to live in the moment! It's a great life lesson.

Miss Deb said...

Love the last line of Wheel that definetly stuck with me the most. I believe, I have to or I will go crazy over my failed relationships.
This is Miss Deb.

kwee_kwee said...

Hey Rob and fellow JMMAers! It's LeQui!

Rob--I read the blogs you wrote on "Wheel" and "Clarity" and I am in awe of your insight! Clarity is one of the songs that instantly has a calming affect on me and you hit the nail on the head as to why. You have shined new light onto lyrics I have heard a thousand times and thought I understood. And your writing skills are SICK!!! (The good kind of sick...lol!) Awesome, awesome blogs!!! :)

Jenny said...

I agree with Cherwisa. In every relationship I have been in. I know that I need to move on and my head is telling me that, but my heart doesn't want to give up.

Robin said...

I love hearing your interpretation of "Wheel"

O.k. The first part of the song frustrates me,

"People have the right to fly
And will when it gets compromised
Their hearts say move along
Their minds say gottcha heart”

I have a problem with your heart saying move along and your mind saying gottcha heart. Your heart should say to your mind I am not letting you get me. I believe relationships always have the compromising factor involved that is the beauty of it. If you love someone than the compromise is worth it. So, I refuse for the wheel to work this way.

The part about "I won't be the last to love her" You can be the last to love her if you hold on to her and not let her fly away.

I agree you “you can't build a house of leaves and live like its an evergreen” especially if the seasons are always changing but if you stick around for more than one season you can start building an evergreen.

Also “You won’t be the first to love me” which is true. I think your Mother is the first to love you in most situations. However, if you don’t open your heart then your first may be your last.

Bold As Becca said...

I agree with Kelly. The lyrics "I believe my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me" are so positive and powerful. Another reason why I love this song, and John Mayer himself, is how revealing he is. A lot of his songs(including this one) show who he is and what he thinks on a much deeper level then other artists.

NLDmusic said...

I love that last line. it's pretty much how i feel day to day with my relationships. i think this girl i'm with though gets it. in the past it's been that way all the time though...

btw. i'm "pumper piper" on the myspace group.

Sally said...

Wow this is a very insightful blog!
I very much agree with you.
Sally

Unknown said...

Man, I love how you disected that song. Wheel is one of my favorite JM songs! My frst JM concert, he closed with "Wheel" so it will always remind me of the day I fell in love with JM music. I love the message too..very honest, and true. "I believe my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me"...my fav part!!!

Joey said...

Everything John does has a positive aspect to it. Even if its sad. He is always showing how he has grown from the experience in a positive way.
-Joey

I love my life!!! said...

the song kinda reminds me of my favorite quote, "This too shall pass." Can't really explain it but basically no matter how great life is, it's going to get worse at some point, regardless. Then again, no matter how shitty life is, at some point, it will get better. It's a vicious cycle. The line about waiting in the airport almost always brings a tear to my eyes....

PS. I'm "I love my life!!!" on myspace:-)

Unknown said...

Love the way your broke down the song. It says so much. You just have to listen closely. My favorite part? "You can't love too much one part of it". Seems like that was my problem. You know when your in a relationship and you know deep inside it's not "the one". But, you still hang on because you don't want to be the one to say "goodbye", but you figure out later, sometimes too late, that the relationship should have ended long ago and it was just a phase to learn from and not let it "overstay" both of your lives to the point of regret...hope that makes sense to someone.. ♥ Lori

Leah said...

I love "wheel", it helped me see that when your heart is broken it will heal again and find a new love. It is a sad song with a twist of hope.

Leah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
chelseaBbrown said...

I love this song... and I love your blog about it. It is so awesome to see someone else understand his songs enough to break them down and explain them in all their glory. Thanks Rob... JMMA rocks!

Edie said...

The house of leaves/evergreen explanation is so right. I'm currently experiencing that right now.

Good job Rob, I think I'm competely with you on your analysis.

taylormac said...

Responding to cheriswa's comment-- "This is the one part of your blog AND John's lyric's that don't completely ring true to me. The heart mind thing doesn't always work in that order, in fact it probably happens most often in reverse, at least for me. The MIND tells me it's time to move on, even when it breaks my own heart to let it go."


I disagree, I think in your heart you always know when its time to let someone go. Thats why your heart says move along, and your mind must then say "got you heart, lets move it along"

Its because too often we love people with our minds, and not our hearts, and sometimes its hard to distinguish when its our mind loving someone.

I think thats what this song is about.
thats why it goes back to building a house of leaves and living like its an evergreen
its loving someone with your mind and not your heart.

so we need to learn to let our minds, listen to our hearts.

Rockin' Guitar Girl said...

I just now found this , and I just now read the analysis of " The Wheel " song . This is one of my fave J.M. songs . I am an avid admirer of J.M. songs , period . And I loved the analysis . But you have to be honest , that , yes , he is very poetic and can be sensitive sometimes . But he is also human , too . And he can sometimes seem to be rather cold about love in his songs sometimes . Not this song , MAYBE , but in some of his other songs . If you don't believe me , then just listen to this song again . Now in NO WAY what-so-ever am I trying to cut down or insult , at all ! I love his tunes . I am just saying that sometimes some people hear what they want to hear in songs , you know ?! Sometimes I get the feeling coming off of some of his songs , that when he gets hurt or it is no longer working out , that he then immediately detaches himself from what he now sees as a sticky inhibiting situation or problem , quite effortlessly . It then , whether it is on purpose or not , oozes out into his songs . And I completely understand that . The only thing that I can't distinguish is whether or not he realizes this himself . Remember , like I said before though , that he is , after all , just human . I still admire his music , and I STILL like him , anyway ! I know that somewhere he sits and may come across some of these sites , and just gets a kick out of reading us all nit-picking and doing an analysis of his many songs . He likes to be mysterious while he tries to look honest . He is a really bright man ! You really can hear many different emotions in just one of his songs .